Saturday, October 31, 2015

Strategic patience

I can't believe that it's seriously November...tomorrow :)  Time has flew by.  This year has absolutely opened my eyes about the business side of things.  It's all about having a strategy, and having patience.  Two things that I did not have.  I'm not afraid to admit that.  I thought that having talent was enough.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of super talented people who aren't and will never be working actors.  That's the harsh reality of this business.  I love attending workshops with guest speakers who have the career that I'm striving to achieve.  Their stories are motivating and definitely have a similar tune.  Most, if not all, had experienced that time in their career where they were just about to give up.   They talked about the times in their journey where nothing, and I mean NOTHING was happening for them.  They would audition time after time and still nothing.  And I'm not just talking about months, for some there were years that went by and nothing.  It's crazy, but in a few stories they talked about being in those dull periods, being offered work, and turning down the work.  Now you may be thinking, 'Why the hell would an actor turn down work"?  Not until this year, did I understand why they did it.  They were trying to re-brand themselves.  It's the difference between only being called in for co-star roles to being called in for series regular roles.  If you keep accepting day player roles, that's all everyone will see you as.  And because they stood firm, and knew what they wanted out of their career, they are now reaping the benefits.  It's about having a plan and sticking to it.  It's about taking control of your career.  It's about having patience. I believe that having patience is easier when you have a plan in place.  Because you know that you're working, planting seeds day in and day out and it's just a matter of time before things begin to happen.   I'm determined to finish out 2015 strong and looking forward to 2016 and all of its many blessings!  Until next time...loving Jesus, life and every opportunity.  Follow me on Twitter & Instagram - @ShashoneLambert

No comments:

Post a Comment