Thursday, March 31, 2016

Not really feeling you...

Man oh man! It's been an interesting couple of months. I've learned a lot.  I had an agent and a manager, dropped both and ended up with a new agency.  That whole process was such a learning experience.  It taught me about myself, what I want for me and my career.  I learned that it's imperative that I'm mindful about the team I'm building, even at this level.  The agent that I professionally parted ways with had no idea of my work, didn't ask for a monologue and refused to submit me for theater.  I said o.k., like 99.9% of actors would because we just want to say we have representation and hope by some miracle the auditions will start flooding in.  I'm glad it was just a verbal agreement to "test" the waters, so that's why I said yes, lets try this out. I mean no contract was signed.  But deep down down inside I knew he wasn't the kind of agent that screamed longevity.  I felt like I was there to just meet a quota.  I actually decided to part ways about 3 months in, when I actually forgot that I "had an agent".  That's never a good sign.  So I politely sent an email, he responded politely and that was that.  Now for the manager...we never met in person.  He was so busy with pilot season...I get it.  So we had a phone interview. He was very...what's the word...can't think of a single word so how about a phrase: He was very "you need me in order for your career to go anywhere".  That's never a good way to come at this actor.  I asked a simple question about my reel.  Sometimes as actors we think our package is awesome, and then someone else looks at it and gives up tips to make it better.  So I figured, why not ask someone who I might possibly work with what he thinks.  Because after all, I want to make sure I'm doing everything on my end to make sure I'm a bit easier to talk up to the CD's to give me a chance.  He proceeded to "lecture" me about how actors need to have more confidence in themselves and all this other crap.  Dude, I just asked for your opinion about my reel.  Whatever. I was ready to end the conversation with a thanks but no thanks when I was completely thrown when he asked us to freelance.  Am I bugging?  Were we on the same awkward phone call in which you talked and talked, asked me a question, cut me off and proceeded to talk some more?  You talked down to everything I was doing in my power to get ahead as an actor with no representation.  You were feeling yourself from beginning to end.  I think I said o.k. out of pure shock.  I remember ending the call thinking "WTF just happened".  But I never reached out again other than to tell him professionally that we need to part ways...a month after the phone interview.  I actually met my current agent at a seminar.  I know...I know.  Those pay-to-meets bring up all types of feelings.  But nevertheless, we met, had a meeting at her office a few weeks later, then we both agreed to work with each other.  It was very eye opening.  It let me know that there are agents who view actors as people.  Yes,  we are all out to make money, but freakin' treat me as a human being...please.  So there you have it folks.  Patience is key in this business.  Knowing what you want is key in this business.  Knowing your worth is key in this business! Until next time...stay focused and encouraged! 

No comments:

Post a Comment