Thursday, February 27, 2014

Socially Anti-Social...

Network! Network! Network! That's all I keep hearing.  Along with, "It's all about who you know!" I get it, I really do.  But I have to be honest with myself...I suck at networking.  Not because I don't know how. I mean I've seen it done a million times both successfully & unsuccessfully.  However, it's just not me to walk up to someone I don't know, pretend I'm interested in anything other than if they have a project that I can audition for.  Let's face it, no matter how "cool" an actor thinks they are, you can smell their desperation with a touch of BS a mile away.  So what do I do? I use whatever my strengths are to network.  I am good at administrative things.  I also have great organizational skills.  With this, I may volunteer at a theater company, or film festival.  I may be a casting assistant or reader at auditions.  There's a number of things that I do that put me in front of people that I should meet, but in a more comfortable environment for me.  So I can be myself, strike up a conversation, all while working or assisting.  So they get to see my personal side as well as my business side all at once.  I must constantly remind myself that this business is not made for everyone to succeed the same way.  That's the beauty of it.  What works for one person may not work for me. I have to stay true to who I am, and trust that I'm working in a way that's best for me & my brand!  Until next time...stay focused and encouraged! Loving Jesus, life and every opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment