Sunday, September 1, 2013

It's ME...not you - Headshot Drama!

Those were the words that I spoke to my manager when he called me in for a meeting.  I had the pleasure of meeting him at one of those pay-to-meet seminars. (I know, those are so controversial in the acting world) Anyhoo, he apologized for not getting me out more. Then he said something that didn't catch me by surprise, then again it did catch me by surprise. (Yeah I know, but I do have a point) He said that a few casting directors asked him who I was, because one week he submits me for one type, then the next week he submits me for another type.  My manager's defense is that he knows my range and believes I am capable of every role that he has submitted me for.  And that's why I am working with this manager.  He knows my work, he even came to one of my shows. So when he fights for me, he can do it with a clear conscience.  That's awesome and all, but lets face it, CD's don't really have the time to "think outside of the box". They look at a headshot & decide whether or not the actor fits what they're looking for.  So, it wasn't really the fault of my manager because I, as the actor, wasn't clear on how I wanted & should be marketed. There's no way that I would let my manager take full blame for my lack of auditions/bookings. I realized that my current headshot absolutely SUCKS!! And that has nothing to do with the photographer. She's actually great, and I am shooting with her again.  But this time I have a clear image in my head of who I am as an actor.  Headshots are so important.  As I surfed the web looking at many headshots, I can see the difference between those that book work and those that don't. It's time for me to take things that I can control into my own hand.  I am confident in my abilities as an actor, and that confidence needs to shine through in my headshot.  These CD's should look at my headshot and wonder why they've never called me in.  Sounds too much? Trust me, I've been on the casting side and a headshot makes a difference. I look forward to taking my new headshots.  I will definitely keep you all posted on how much of a difference my new headshots made.  Until next time...stay encouraged and focused! 

1 comment:

  1. Just seeing this, if you're still looking for a photographer for professional looking head shots I suggest you network with casting director Wendy Mckenzie. I worked with her before with one of my actors. She has a network of photographers and matches the right photographer for head shots with the right actor according to their personality instead of just a photographer snapping headshots. Okay I'm done before this turns into a commercial,lol. Check her out, she's on twitter

    ReplyDelete