Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pay-to-meet Seminars...Yay or Nay?

I recently started going back to these "pay-to-meet" seminars.  Let me just say that I do believe they work.  That's the only way I was able to book TV work without having an agent.  But you definitely have to be smart about it.  Some of these agents/cd's are only there for an extra paycheck. Yes, that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. They come in with an attitude, look at you like your crap, and barely listen to your prepared piece of work that you've been stressing over.  Meanwhile, we actors sit outside the room, stressing, and waiting for our turn to show these people what we're made of so our careers can magically be what we want it to be.  I've learned that by doing that, we give away all of our power to them.  The truth is they need us and much as we need them.  But in order to walk in the room that way, we have to believe that.  Leave the desperation outside the room, because they can smell it right away.  And those agents/cd's that come there just for a paycheck can smell it and they feed off of it.  We as actors have to be honest with ourselves, are we really ready for an agent? Are we really ready for primetime TV? I had to face the fact that I wasn't ready, which is why I stopped going for a while.  But now...shoot, you can't tell me nothing LOL! I recently met with one casting director, and he thanked me for being prepared, picking a piece that was right for my type, and for actually being good.  I didn't leave the room doing back flips, thinking that my career will suddenly take off.  I left proud of myself for doing what I came to do. And that was to simply show that I am ready by doing good work. Even though I hate the fact that I have to pay for these, I actually look forward to doing more seminars soon. As always loving Jesus, life, and every opportunity!! Follow me on twitter: @ShashoneLambert

No comments:

Post a Comment